Monday 9 January 2017

Post-Listening in a Post-Truth World

I would not categorize myself as a conservative as I understand the term to mean today.  I would consider my interests to be fiscal responsibility and social progressiveness.  With that being said, I believe I sit in the centre and support policies that most closely identify with that. The amazing thing that I have noticed in the past month or so is that traditionally conservative individuals in the public eye have become "too liberal" by new conservative standards.

As much as possible, I listen to Newstalk 770 during the day; specifically Danielle Smith and Rob Breakenridge.  I've only been listening to them for about 7 months but I feel as though I have a pretty good idea of what their views are.  I believe Smith is a libertarian and Breakenridge is a conservative because that's how they self-identify.

Danielle Smith seems to be mostly unscathed here but then there's Rob Breakenridge.  Now I have been thoroughly amused at some of the callers since the U.S. election who accused him of being a liberal; laughed out loud, even.  He handled these callers and their accusations calmly and professionally... but I'm actually becoming concerned because the accusations haven't stopped.  If anything, they're coming more frequently, more loudly, and, in my opinion, more defiantly regardless of what Breakenridge says.

Many have decried the idea of "Trump-style" politics coming to Alberta yet the official opposition have embraced it (with the official number two actually punctuating his speech at their annual general meeting with "Make Alberta Great Again").  There are a loud group of supporters who are pushing for that style simply because it worked.  Whatever that may bring, I see the possibility of a backlash that wasn't present in the U.S.: reasonable people won't be able to justify staying in the conservative camp if this is the support they are cultivating.

Why here if not there?  Because this is Canada.  Because we are politically correct and we are reasonable and we expect our politicians to act with professionalism and respect for both the position they are elected to and the people who didn't elect them.  Yes, I still believe this, and I know I'm not alone.









No comments:

Post a Comment